July 08, 2015

Summer Treats

When I think about summer foods, the first thing that pops into my head is watermelon. There is no food that reminds me more of a beautiful, hot summer day. So, when I turned on the Food Network this past Sunday morning, and saw an awesome recipe for a tasty watermelon treat, I knew I had to give it a try. I love to cook and bake, especially when the recipe isn't too complicated and involves foods I know I like. These bite-sized watermelon cubes are the perfect afternoon snack, and lived up to my expectations after seeing them on TV.

Ingredients:
1 watermelon cut into 1 inch cubes
1 cup of heavy cream 
1 cup mascarpone cheese
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon 
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon agave syrup
Zest of 1 lime
1 lime cut in half
Mini chocolate chips as needed

Start by cutting the watermelon into cubes, about 1 inch. Take a mini melon baller (a 1/4 teaspoon also works) and cut into each cube to leave room for the filling. Then, lay the cubes upside down to strain the extra water. In a mixer with the whisk attachment, mix heavy cream, mascarpone cheese, cinnamon, vanilla, agave, lime zest, and juice of half the lime. Mix until fluffy. Squeeze the juice from the other half of the lime over the watermelon. Fill the watermelon with the cream filling, and finish by topping the treat with mini chocolate chips. 
Detailed instructions here





Another one of my favorite summer foods is guacamole. Whether it's on a burrito, a turkey sandwich, or just a dip for tortilla chips, guacamole can spice up any summer menu. While I love pretty much any kind, store bought or homemade, a friend gave me a simple a delicious recipe a few years ago that I swear by. Super simple, refreshing, and delicious! After making my watermelon treats, I was on a bit of a cooking binge, and made guacamole too. Neither stayed in my fridge for too long, as both made the perfect snack!

Ingredients:
2 large avocados
1/3 cup of diced tomato
1/4 cup diced red onion
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon salt (add more if necessary)

Begin by mashing too large avocados until the consistency is pretty smooth. Dice the tomato, but make sure the chunks aren't too small. Dice the onion as well, but in smaller pieces. Add the tomato, onion, lemon juice, and salt to the avocado and mixed until all ingredients are well incorporated. This is a rough recipe; you could certainly add more or less of each ingredient depending on what you like. I've also added a little cilantro in the past which is delicious.



Overall, I was really satisfied with the snacks I made. I hope some of you make and enjoy these recipes as much as I do!

xoxo,
Julianna 

Preppy by the Sea

1 comment :

  1. These both look so good! I'm going to have to try the watermelon cubes! Thanks for the recommendations :)
    -Angela
    Sunshineandalittlepinkblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete