March 12, 2015

Workout Routine & Essentials



Recently, I joined a local gym and have actually going quite frequently. Going from cross country practice everyday during the fall to practically no activity during the winter just made me feel so disgusting. I feel so much better when I exercise both physically and mentally. After a good workout I am more inclined to be positive, productive and eat healthy. In the Spring I play on my school's golf team which I absolutely love, however if 85 year old men can do it there is not much of a workout to it. As the weather warms up I will most likely run outside more than at the gym, however it is still a great place to use all the machines and vary up your routine. 

The Essentials 

+Waterbottle 
Staying hydrated before, during and after workout is crucial. There is absolutely nothing worse than working really hard and then feeling dizzy and light headed because you have not been drinking any water. 

+Headphones & Phone 
I don't know about you guys, but I can't workout without music. I love using spotify to create the perfect playlist that is upbeat and motivating. Cranking up the music gives me a boost of energy and is also nice to cover up the sound of heavy breathing. 

+Wristlet/Wallet 
By bringing a wallet of some sort with you you will have a place to keep your gym card and the chances of you forgetting it will be much slimmer. Also, if you wanted to you could keep some spare cash in it incase you forgot a water or needed a snack afterwards. Wristlets are great if you drive because you can also have your keys and license in one place and won't forget them.

+Sneakers
A pair of sneakers can seriously make or break your workout. Make sure you have a good pair that you know will be comfortable and offer good support. As I have said before, I love my Asics Gel Nimbus 16 running sneakers!

My Workout Routine 

Each time I got to they gym, my routine is slightly different however the majority of it is constant. I usually go for an hour, the first 30-40 minutes I do cardio and the last 20-30 I do ab and leg exercises. 

+Cardio
For my cardio routine, I like to use a few different machines depending on my mood. Most of the time I run for 30 minutes on the treadmill and then if I have time will erg for 10 minutes. I have recently been doing the stationary bike for 20 minutes which is a great quad workout and then switching and doing either the elliptical or treadmill for another 20 minutes. 

+Abs
I have written about my ab workout before but will go over it again in this post! You definitely don't need to go to the gym for these, in fact if I don't go I will do this routine for 8 minutes before I shower at night. I do 15-20 repetitions of each exercise. Initially, I start off with sit-ups, then penguins, crunches, scullers crunches, leg lowers, bikers crunches, twists (I add a 6 pound medicine ball when I do these), one minute of plank and 15 seconds on each side of side plank. 

+Legs
For legs I use 8 pound weights and start off with lunges and squats. After I have finished this, if there is wall space available I like to do a minute of wall sits. My leg routine is much shorter because I feel that running and the stationary bike are already a great leg workout. 

+Weights
If I have time at the end I will do a few different weight exercises to build up my upper body strength.  I vary this each time so I would go on Pinterest to find a great weight routine! 

+Stretching
Finally, the the most relaxing and probably most import part of a workout! I do a few quick stretches before I start, but majority of it is at the end. There are so many great different stretches and this will change depending on what muscles you worked the hardest during your workout. I usually stretch for about 10 minutes! 

What are you favorite workout routines, I would love to hear any suggestions?

xoxo,
Catherine

Preppy by the Sea 


No comments :

Post a Comment