February 04, 2016

Future

Ask anyone who knows me and they will tell you that I hate surprises. I am a planner and like to know what to expect. Over the past six months I have come to realize the flaws in these qualities. You simply can't plan every aspect of your life and sometimes you need to take the unexpected and make the most of it. The next year of my life is seriously going to test me. I don't have a ton of control over what will happen and honestly, it's terrifying. This weekend I take the ACT for the first time and at the end of the month my mom and I are going on our first trip to look at colleges. I have been thinking about college for a little bit now and think I have a general idea about what I want, but only in the past few weeks has the reality of the whole process hit me. 

Everyone always says that everything will work out in the end, but it's difficult to accept that. I have seen people apply ED and get into their top school, and I have also heard nightmares about rejection letter after rejection letter. Some people spend their entire four years of high school trying to get involved with virtually everything because it will "look good for college". Yes, this resumé padding may help you, but I think it is more important to find a few things you are truly passionate about and expand upon them. 

Personally, I tried a bunch of new things my freshman year and by sophomore year narrowed it down to the things I participate in today. I have learned so much about myself in the past two years. If I told my 14 year old self that I would end up quitting lacrosse and ski team, my two favorite things, and take up cross country and golf, I would have thought I was insane. Nor did I ever imagine being part of student council and taking on a leadership position. 

The future is incredibly exciting, but also quite scary at the same time. It is going to be an emotional roller coaster and I need to learn to embrace both the ups and the downs. Life is so much more than your GPA and test scores. So, for the next year and a half of high school I have left, I am going to put my best foot forward, try my hardest, and have some fun along the way. The best is yet to come.

xoxo,
Catherine

Preppy by the Sea

2 comments :

  1. This post is great and I feel you 100% - as a fellow junior in high school and control freak, I have to remind myself every day that I can't control everything about the future. You can work as hard as possible, do as much research as you can, and plan every detail, but at some point, things are out of your hands.

    Good luck on the ACT and have fun looking at colleges! Traveling to go on tours can be pretty fun!

    Sophie
    www.normallyinnavy.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you 100%. I am feeling this way too because I am a junior and freaking out about where I Will end up, and figuring out all the hectic details that come with the infamous junior year of HS. I'm anxious to see where I end up, but also nervous it won't be what I expected.

    -Macy // Peoniesandpassports.com

    ReplyDelete