August 28, 2017

Good Byes

As I am typing this post, it is my second night at college after saying goodbye to my family. Before these past two weeks the reality of saying good bye had not truly crossed my mind. Yes, I knew it would be difficult to say goodbye to friends and family, but I never thought that I would have such a challenging time moving from one chapter of my life to the next.

The period of time between graduating high school and starting college is a very strange time in your life, you have essentially grown out of the high school phase, but are still not a college student. This summer was so much fun, I was able to live with my two best friends in my favorite place on earth for two and a half months. However, at the same time there was always the lingering reality that everything we have known for the past eighteen years was quickly going to change. 

Last Friday my first friend headed off to college and since then one of my other friends has moved in, and by this Sunday everyone will be settled into their new schools. I would not consider myself to be a "crier" as I have probably cried two or three times in the past year, but with all of the recent goodbyes there have been some serious waterworks. It is difficult to say goodbye to your friends who have been by your side everyday and know you so well and then prepare to move to a different state, in a different part of the country, where you do not have any friends and have to start over. I have no doubt in my mind that my best friends and I will all stay close even after heading off to all different colleges. It is going to be a serious adjustment period at first, however knowing your friends from home are just a FaceTime call away and that you will see them when you come home for various breaks makes it more comforting.

These past few days at school have taught me that the transition into college is difficult and finding your group does not happen right away. Saying good bye is tough, but you will always have those people to fall back on.

xoxo,
Catherine

Preppy by the Sea

No comments :

Post a Comment