October 10, 2016

Getting Better + Staying Healthy

I don't know if it is the stress of senior year, the germs at school, or the cold and rainy weather but I just can't seem to avoid getting colds this year. I am not the kid that gets sick all the time, however we are only five weeks into school and I have spent at least two of those weeks battling different colds. Last week was miserable. I started off not feeling great on monday and then went on an extremely difficult run at practice where I genuinely felt the worst I've ever felt during a workout. After talking to my coach I took tuesday off and just went home to rest. However, after that my week just kept getting busier, I had a meet on wednesday, a meeting before school everyday, and tons of assignments due that kept me up late. By Friday I just felt awful. Unfortunately this cold hit right before the long weekend and I had to skip the football game and going out with my friends to catch up on my sleep and try to get better. Although there is always a sense of fomo when staying home, it is so important to know yourself and do everything you can to get better and stay healthy. I apologize for that little rant/life update, but now I will share some of my favorite tips and tricks for getting over a cold, or just avoiding them in the first place! 

Go to bed early// This is probably the best thing that you can do when you start to feel crummy. If you can get to bed by 8:30 and get as much sleep as possible on a school night it will help you so much. Also, take advantage of weekend nights and go to bed early and sleep in late. 

Take NyQuil// Last month when I was down in North Carolina on college tours I had a horrible cold. I needed to be up and attentive for my tour in the morning so my dad went to the drug store and got me NyQuil. I had not used NyQuil that much before that but oh my gosh is it amazing when you are super stuffed up. I was able to sleep through the night without constantly waking up to blow my nose, and felt 100x better in the morning. Different people react in different ways to medicine, but find a cold medicine that works well for you to improve your sleep with a cold. 

Drink lots of water// This one applies to both staying healthy and getting better. Water keeps you hydrated and healthy so you should always try to drink a lot throughout the day, even if you are not sick! 

Drink Tea// I find that drinking tea when I am sick makes me feel so much better. The warm water is so calming and helps me relax before bed. 

Eat Strawberries and Oranges// Both strawberries and oranges are a great source of vitamin C and will help you get over a cold, or just maintain a healthy balance of vitamins in your day to day life. 

xoxo,
Catherine

Preppy by the Sea


1 comment :