June 16, 2016

Book Review: 11/22/63


I'd consider myself to be a person who genuinely likes reading, which is why I was disappointed that this past school year I didn't read as many books for my own pleasure as I would have liked. As I'm sure many of you understand, high school (junior year in particular) is crazy busy. I did all I could just to keep up with the reading assignments in my English class...The Grapes of Wrath wasn't exactly a page turner. About a month ago, my history teacher explained to us that we would be choosing books off a pre-approved list to do a group video project as our final grade. Most of the options were non-fiction and long, both things that didn't appeal to me. So, I opted for the only fiction option on the list, 11/22/63 by Stephen King. Best. Choice. Ever.

11/22/63 follows protagonist Jake Epping after he discovers a time-travel portal, transporting him back to the late 1950's. Jake makes it his mission to save president John F. Kennedy from being assassinated with the hopes that his actions with change the future for the better. With various plot lines going beyond this main story-arc, Jake becomes deeply connected to the past and the people he meets while there, complicating his intentions for the future and his plans to change history. 

I honestly can't explain how much I enjoyed this book. It's very fast paced, and never once did I have to re-read a section because my eyes glazed over or it was just too boring to hold my attention. The main character, Jake, is so likable that you root for him and his cause the entire way. There's a perfect balance between historical facts and fictional character development; even if you're not into history, this book will still captivate you with the more fictional aspects that make you love the characters. The scariest part about this book isn't actually anything that happens in the text, but rather the fact that it is about 1080 pages. I know what you're thinking, but hear me out. It reads so, so fast, I honestly read 400 pages in a day. The pages are narrow and the font is large; to me it reads more like a 350-400 page book. It doesn't ever feel like it drags on too long. Every chapter has a clear purpose to engage the reader. This was the first truly great book I've read in a while. I hope you take my advice and love it as much as I do!

Have you read any good books lately?

xoxo,
Julianna 

Preppy by the Sea

No comments :

Post a Comment