April 03, 2014

Spring State of Mind

April is finally here! March felt like eternity, mostly because it was a five week month with no long weekends or vacations. Warm air is slowly but surely making its way up to Massachusetts and spring break is quickly approaching. Last weekend I decided that it was time to put away my cords and bean boots and pull out some bright colors for spring! April started off on an interesting note for me this year and for the first time ever, I really got fooled by one of my friends! With flower buds starting to pop up and bright colors making their way to my closet, I thought that I would do a post about ten things that remind me of spring.

Lilacs
Lilacs are my all time favorite flower. I remember when I was in elementary school and walked home, my neighbor had tons of lilac bushes in the front yard and I would pick off a few and bring them home. Although taking my neighbor's flowers was probably not the best idea, I could not resist the sweet smell and beautiful colors. A mason jar filled with Lilacs would be the epitome of spring to me. Their gorgeous pastel purple color to the sweet smell that fills the house makes them a spring favorite.


Pink
Honestly, who doesn't associate pink with spring? Pink is my favorite color no matter the season.  There is nothing better than pulling out my pink pants and chino shorts for Spring and adding a simple pop of color to any of my outfits. This is one of my favorite pictures of these J. Crew chino shorts, see how I styled them in the post from last summer (link in caption). 

{Pleasant Breezes by the Dock}

Sweatshirts
As much as I would love to say that I am wearing Jacks and Lilly shorts in the spring, I am most certainly not (at least until May). I am still eagerly awaiting a day when it gets to 60 degrees, let alone sunny and seventy five. With cool days as the reality for Spring in New England, sweatshirts are my go to thing for lazy days or cool beach walks. I am not crazy about sweatshirts with hoods, but I have an obsession with crew necks and quarter zips. Every time I go on a trip, I find myself returning with a new sweatshirt. A cute sweatshirt is such a staple to have because they work for cool summer nights, early April sports games or just running errands!


Pastel Nail Polish
To be quite honest, I wait all winter to bring back my pastel nail polishes and the time has finally come! To me, nothing screams spring like essie's "secret story" or "in the cabana". Whether it's a light pink, sea foam green or light blue, essie nail polish is always my go-to brand. I just need to soak up some sun over spring break so that my coral shades will look good with my skin tone! How adorable is my little Lilly Pulitzer makeup bag, it is the perfect size to fit some spring shades!

via instagram
Easter
Although it is typically not Lilly dress weather for Easter in Massachusetts, it definitely makes me think of spring! Thankfully, Easter falls later this year and I will get to enjoy the weekend on Cape Cod with my family rather than on the ski slopes! My cousins are little, so I am looking forward to the Easter egg hunt and fun festivities :)


Iced Peach Green Tea Lemonade from Starbucks
This is pretty impressive, I think this is only the second time I have ever mentioned Starbucks on the blog. The Iced Peach Green Tea Lemonade is my favorite drink from Starbucks. Ever. I'm just going to put this out there, their cold summer drinks are much better than their fall and winter special coffees. This ice tea is so delicious and refreshing on a warm Spring day and is the perfect blend. I took this last summer in New York City, where I will be again for a few days of my Spring break!


Sperrys 
Sperrys have been my favorite spring shoe since sixth grade, they are comfortable and versatile for any weather. I have had many pairs of these shoes over the years, but the original ones are by far my favorite. Once my boots are away, these are my go-to shoes to wear (along with flats) until I can wear my Jack Rogers in warmer Spring weather. 


Fruit
Although this may sound a bit strange, good fruit is probably one of the first things that comes to mind when I think of Spring. Peaches are my all time favorite fruit and obviously I had to take a picture of them. If you are ever in Seattle, you MUST go to the Public Market and get the peaches. They are so sweet and juicy, I promise this will be a life changing experience :) Fruit salad at a cookouts are also one of my favorite things about spring. After spending long hot days playing in games (or watching) there is nothing more refreshing than eating a big bowl filled with watermelon, strawberries, pineapple etc.!


Colorful Button Down Shirts
As I have mentioned about ten times already in this post, Spring in New England is no Florida. Colorful button down shirts are my best friend in spring. These shirts allow you to get that fun pop of color for Spring into an outfit without freezing outside. J. Crew's oxfords and popovers are so cute and I also love the ones available at C. Wonder (the pattern on the cuff and color is the perfect touch. 
Here are the links to a few button down shirts I am loving Fuchsia Popover | Yellow Stripes | Multi Gingham | Flower Bud Popover | Red Anchors | Scallop Oxford | Maritime Flags


Memorial Day Weekend
Memorial Day weekend is by far and away my favorite weekend of the year. Every year we go to our beach house and all of my cousins and friends are there as well. This weekend is always the most perfect weather and a little dose of summer. Remembering that I have to return to school on tuesday, after spending the three days laying on the beach and swimming in the ocean is always such a bummer!


I hope this post got you in the mood for the fun spring months ahead! Before we know it, it will be summer! What are you most looking forward to this spring?

xoxo,
Catherine

Preppy by the Sea


1 comment :

  1. Catherine,

    So happy that I found your blog through the "show us where you work" blogger linkup! Loving your pink chino shorts and that adorable peep cupcake in this post! I am definitely following your posts in the future!!

    love&pink,
    Amy
    www.amybelievesinpink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete