June 02, 2014

It's the FINAL countdown

As the title of this post says, it's the final countdown to Summer and to the dreaded final exams. Back in January we did a post about study tips for mid year exams, so I thought we should do an updated one for finals. Our last day of school is not until June 18th, however I know many schools get out earlier so here are some study tips!


Let's start off with the electronics...
The number one thing I suggest doing when working on your computer is turning off the wifi. Every time an email comes in on my laptop I get a notification, and we all know J. Crew has a sale every other day which can get quite tempting after staring at history notes for hours upon hours. Turning off your wifi will stop you from getting distracted and you will not burn a hole in your wallet. Suggestion number two, put your phone on silent and charge it in a different room, once again this will remove the constant distraction of texting, social media, etc. Although it is important to remove your phone when you are studying, set up a time to FaceTime a friend in one of your classes. When I try to study with friends in person we almost never accomplish anything, but I rely on FaceTime religiously to discuss questions and study. This is a great way to clarify things you are a little iffy on and not get super off topic. Finally, as I mentioned in the midyear post, use word or Google Docs to create a study guide with friends in your class, this makes all those terms and key topics a little less daunting, plus if you are only given a small section to complete you are more likely to get better information, which will benefit everyone! 

Eating 
It is important to eat well when you are testing, here are a few of my favorite snacks...
  • smoothies (see my favorites here)
  • fruit, with warmer weather and summer quickly approaching the produce is so delicious!
  • pretzel crips with hummus or cheese
  • luna bars
  • greek yogurt, granola and berries
  • skinny pop popcorn 
  • chips with salsa or guacamole 
  • not exactly healthy, but Talenti salted caramel gelato is definitely my weakness with the warm weather, if you have never had it you are seriously missing out! 

Organization
I am such a stickler for organization and using my agenda is a must. I use the Lilly Pulitzer planner and I love how it has a monthly calendar as well as a week by week. I use the monthly calendar to write down all of the due dates and set aside time to study and the weekly pages to write down daily assignments. When studying for finals I like to choose days to study certain topics we have previously covered to make a small dent each night, starting a few weeks before the actual exams.

Weekends 
Use your weekends to your advantage, I cannon emphasize this enough. Although watching your favorite show until the wee hours in the morning may seem nice and relaxing, try to go to bed at a decent hour on the weekends. Getting sleep while you actually can is important, so don't waste it because you will regret it by the middle of the week when you are running on limited sleep and caffeine. Finally, do something outside! I like to go for a run in the morning after breakfast because the the day has not gotten too warm, but the sun is still out making it the perfect weather. If you live near the beach or a lake, spend some of your weekend there and enjoy the day maybe even toss some flashcards in your beach bag and get some studying done by the sea :) 


What are some study tips that work well for you?
Good Luck!

xoxo,
Catherine 

Preppy by the Sea


No comments :

Post a Comment