June 12, 2017

Tips for Starting a New Job

This summer I am waitressing at the same restaurant that I worked at last year. Although I have worked there before, I have never waitressed before, so it is essentially like starting a new job. I need to memorize the menu, learn about the different drinks, and understand how the computer system works for placing customers' orders. My start date is not until the 18th, however I have some training this week and I know many college and high school students start soon if  they have not already, so I thought sharing a few tips on starting a new job would be appropriate for this week. 

Ask Questions// This is probably my most important tip. You will likely have a few training days before they completely set you free, however questions will definitely come up in the fist few weeks and never hesitate to ask someone. Sometimes work is hectic and everyone seems very busy, but no one is going to fault you for speaking up and making sure you are doing something right. 

Address People By Name// I am absolutely horrible with names, so I try to address co-workers by name as it helps me to remember it. There's nothing more awkward when you have been working somewhere for a few days and someone asks you to find "Sally" and you cannot seem to remember which person "Sally" is. If you do this in the beginning, it will help out a lot in the long run.  

Know The Basics // Before you officially start your job make sure you know the basics about where you are working. For example, if you're like me and are working at a restaurant, know the menu, how your restaurant handles allergies, the reservation policy, and the seating chart. If you have this under your belt at the beginning, you will be more knowledge when a customer asks you a question or if your manager asks you to do something for them. 

Bring a Snack // Some shifts at work will seem long and you may not have the opportunity to have a break and eat a real meal. Always keep a bar or an apple in you're bag so you know you will have something if you get in a jam. Being hungry at work is the worst. 

Talk With Co-Workers // This one seems obvious, however your new job will be so much more enjoyable if you get to know those around you. Unfortunately, last summer I did not work with anyone that was my age, but I met a girl that just finished her freshman year at Elon so it was nice to have someone to talk with about the school I was planning on applying early decision to. Even if you don't think you will have a lot in common with someone, its better to chat with someone during a lull in the shift then stand there alone. 

xoxo,
Catherine

Preppy by the Sea 

2 comments :

  1. I agree with all of these tips!! These are things I definitely tried to do when starting my internship last summer :)

    Kendal // Life With Kendal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this and so true! I just started a new job about a month ago!

    Ashley // MyWellDressedLife.com

    ReplyDelete