April 25, 2017

Book Review: Big Little Lies

Over vacation I made an effort to read a few books for pleasure, one of which being Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty. During the school year I rarely have time to sit down and read and I always forget how much I truly enjoy it when I have a good book. Because it was just made into a series on HBO with Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman, and Shailene Woodley I had heard of the book and decided to pick up a copy before leaving for my trip. The book is around 500 pages and I read it in a day and a half. Needless to say, I absolutely loved it and already have one of my friends hooked. 

So you're probably thinking what's this book about? Big Little Lies is a mystery novel/thriller. The book focuses on three mothers in a small seaside town in Australia, each struggling with different personal challenges. On the night of a large fundraiser at their children's elementary school, there is a murder and the book works its way up to the night of the crime. The story exposes the pressing issues of domestic violence, sexual assault, bullying, divorce, and the struggles of being a single parent. Initially the story seems to just depict the daily lives of the mothers and their children, however as the plot progresses you will encounter a plethora of plot twists and will not being able to put it down!

After finishing the book, I watched the series and was not disappointed. Although there are quite a few differences between the plot of the book and the series, the acting and cast are phenomenal and I would definitely recommend it! Have you read Big Little Lies? 

xoxo,
Catherine

Preppy by the Sea 

No comments :

Post a Comment