July 24, 2017

Change


The past two weeks have been a complete and total whirlwind. I started working in mid june as a waitress and left after about a month. Although I did enjoy the actual act of waitressing and getting to interact with my tables and coworkers, it was frankly just a negative environment in which I felt little appreciation and or support. After sticking it out and hoping for things to get better, I saw no improvement and thus decided that I needed a change.

I would consider myself to be a pretty tough person and can handle a lot, but there comes a point where you need to put yourself and your wellbeing first. Making quick and rash choices is not really my thing, so before I left I went out and looked for a new job. I think that it was all meant to be as I was able to get an interview and then get hired at a new retail store in town that really excited me in less than a week.

Working at the restaurant was a learning experience and helped to to understand the cultures of different workplaces and how to stick up for myself in difficult situations. But in the end, it was a  summer job, it was not career defining, and I was miserable, so I made the decision to leave. By absolutely no means am I condoning quitting your job, but I also don't think anyone should be subject to poor treatment or work somewhere where they dread going back to. I was hesitant to write about my recent experience here on the blog, however I know that I am not the only one who has been in a situation like this before and maybe by sharing my story I can help someone else struggling with the same employment dilemma. Leaving your job is a daunting idea, but sometimes you just need to go with your gut and seek a change. I am roughly a week into my new job and I am so much happier, the environment is fun, everyone works as a team, and there is a sense of support and passion amongst everyone there. Now that I am adjusted to my new job, I am set on moving forward and enjoying my last month of summer (ahhh) before heading off to college.

xoxo,
Catherine

Preppy by the Sea


No comments :

Post a Comment